Saturday, December 25, 2010

Xmas Comp.

A BIG THANKS TO MYSTERY TRAIN RECORDS!! Mystery Train Records has put out a Christmas Comp of sorts, I have a song on it, its a version of Lil McClintock's Please Dont Think Im Santa Claus. He recorded it with guitar and voice, I did slightly edit it by recording it with my nylon string banjo, but tried to keep the spirit of the tune alive... An interesting piece nonetheless it is actually about 3 songs in one, The Santa verse, Lindy Lou On the Watermelon Vine, and the verses about work. I remember reading about it in the book Songsters and Saints Vocal Traditions on Race Records but cant remember exactly what they said about it, I lent that book to my friend Phil and he gave me a different book back. The book is amazing, it weaves in and out of a lot of vaudville, blues, and raggy kinds of songs "Race Records." A lot of the more bizarre/rarer songs that were recorded. The first time I heard this song was on The Music of the Medicine Shows compilation, one of my favorite releases of Old Time music, because you really get the whole spectrum, Gid Tanner, Uncle Dave, Tar Heels but then you get the Frank Stokes, Shorty Godwin, Lil McClintocks... So that was a lot of rambling, apologies but if you care to follow up...

BOOK
BUY MUSIC OF THE MEDICINE SHOWS (Iknow, no one likes CDs. But its Old Hat, they are the best, Liner notes, Photos, nice packaging...)))

Working on some new music as well, probably a CDR of some kind... its mostly instrumentals. Its pretty much done but I may record some banjo stuff for it...

1 comment:

akahn said...

yo tones. are they doing mail order for the comp?